- Racism still exists; shit ain’t post-racial.
- Despite the mass shooting taking place at a church, this wasn’t motivated by religious bias. A simple Google search will tell you that Dylann Roof was a white supremacist that hated black people.
- Removing the Confederate flag from the South Carolina state capitol, though a noble gesture long overdue, won’t erase racism or the bloodshed it has caused.
- Focusing on the Confederate flag and not the mindset of the killer, the heinous act committed, the racist motivations of the suspect, or the systemic racism that nurtured such a tragedy is sweeping the violence under the rug — a convenient excuse to not discuss the uncomfortable reality that racism and violence caused this.
- Gun control will likely not happen as a result of the assassination; if more than 20 murdered children in Sandy Hook couldn’t jump-start serious gun regulation discussion, the deaths of black people won’t. That’s how America works, apparently.
- America’s relationship with guns is fucked up.
- America’s relationship with black people is fucked up.